News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

COX .049

Started by RaincloudDev, Jan 09, 2023, 07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaincloudDev

Got a tiny engine. its gonna maybe run just fine. gotta make an airframe or somethin.
Welcome To Camp Raincloud!!
Hi! I'm RaincloudDev and I'm pretty much a big deal around here.
YouTube@CampRaincloud

RaincloudDev

Cox Engine Updates
Today I fixed the engine to a 2x4 with 4 small screws. I used a pick to score through the bolt holes on the engine before tapping the screws. Once all four holes were tapped, I took the screws out and mounted the engine.  I made a basic glow plug igniter out of a battery, switch and two alligator clips. The alligator clips clip to the engine head and glow plug as normal, and the switch turns power on or off so my fingers stayed safe during the test.

The prop I used was probably too much for the engine from the start according to what I've read. The all around recommended prop for this engine is a 5x3, and I'm using a 5.1x5.1x3 quadcopter propeller. It's all I had at the time and seemed fine for a test.

The engine was mounted safely at this point. I had my safety glasses on and a good stick in hand ready to safely start it up for the first time in years. I dribbled the nitro in the cylinder and began pumping! Even with some nitro in the tank, the old Cox .049 didn't seem to want to pick up. Every now and then I got a good hit and the engine would burn up what was left in the cylinder from the dribbling. I was pleased with what I did hear of the engine running after it was all said and done.

At this point I'm looking forward to doing a full restore on this little engine! I'm not entirely sure which engine this is, but if anyone can help me ID the thing, let me know! I THINK it may be a black widow mashed up with some other model's parts. It's certainly been a lot of fun to research.

It's worth noting that this engine sounded so much beefier than I expected it to in person. It's actually a little bit terrifying! Safety is KEY!
YouTube@CampRaincloud

RaincloudDev

YouTube@CampRaincloud